Golf tournaments and betting have become much more intertwined over the past several years. Golf is one of the best sports for betting because you have the ability for a big payout with tournament winner wagers, and you also have the ability to place live bets shot by shot. It’s the best of both worlds.
The PGA Tour has leaned into the betting industry, seeing the value that bettors bring to their product in terms of viewership and fandom. The PGA Tour is now even adding betting segments during their broadcasts where they outline the odds for different events that are taking place during the round.
Below I will outline our top rated sportsbooks for betting on golf in your region, look at some of the popular bets you can make on a golf tournament, and finish with a simple 3 step guide you can follow to bet on golf online.
Top Golf Sportsbooks
|50% up to $1000||Review||Visit|
|100% up to $250||Review||Visit|
|50% up to $1000||Review||Visit|
Recent Golf Articles
The 2021 Masters Tournament will take place this week at it’s traditional scheduled during the first full week of April. Last years tournament was postponed until November, so it has...
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson will battle it out this Sunday in a sequel to “The Match” which took place back in November of 2018. This time around each golf...
How To Bet On Golf
Betting on the tournament winner is the most common type of golf bet, but there are also several other types of golf bets you can make. Let’s take a look at a few of the ways to bet on golf online.
Tournament Winner Betting
This common type of golf bet can be classified as a future bet. Tournament winner betting involves betting on which golfer will win the tournament when the week is completed. The return is usually quite good if your player is able to pull out the victory. Here is an example using the odds for some of the favorites heading into the 2021 Masters Tournament:
- Dustin Johnson +900
- Bryson DeChambeau +1100
- Justin Thomas +1100
- Jon Rahm +1200
- Jordan Spieth +1200
- Rory McIlroy +1800
In this case Dustin Johnson is the favorite to win the tournament. A $100 bet on DJ would win $900 (payout $1000). Rory is the 6th favorite at odds that would win double the amount as Johnson. A $100 bet on Rory would win $1800 (payout $1900). The odds for tournament winners lengthen significantly and it’s not uncommon to hit a 100-1 or longer bet if a lesser known golfer wins the tournament. Because there are so many different golfers that have the ability to win a tournament in a given week you can usually get a very nice payout if your golfer hits.
Head To Head Betting
Even though the majority of the time golfers do not compete head to head online sportsbooks will still offer match up odds between golfers. The odds can either be for a particular round or for the entire tournament. Here is an example:
- Tony Finau +113
- Xander Schauffele -135
The online sportsbook has matched these players up in order to allow bettors to place bets on which of them they think will perform better in the tournament. In this case Finau is a slight underdog with odds of +113, while Schauffele is the favorite to finish higher up the leaderboard at odds of -135.
There are times such as in the Ryder Cup or skins games when golfers do compete against each other head to head, but when it is a normal tournament the oddsmakers will still offer some head to head lines to provide more options for golf bettors.
Other Golf Bets
There are several other bets you can make on golf tournaments. Below I will list some of the other popular golf bets offered by sportsbooks with a brief explanation of the bet:
- Round Leader – A bet on the leader after a certain round. The ‘First Round Leader’ bet is the most popular bet in this category, but betting sites can also take bets on who will lead after subsequent rounds in the tournament.
- Top 5, Top 10 or Top 20 – A bet on a player to finish within a certain number of places on the leaderboard.
- Group Betting – Similar to head to head betting, except the betting site will create a group of golfers and you can bet on which one will finish the tournament in the best position.
- Live Betting – Golf is the perfect sport for live betting. At some sportsbooks you can wager on every shot that is broadcast throughout the tournament. Some examples include what score a player shoots on a particular hole, whether DeChambeau hits a fairway or drives a certain distance on a hole, or what a players score will be through Amen Corner at Augusta. The possibilities for live betting on golf are nearly endless.
How To Bet On Golf Online – 3 Step Guide
Follow this simple three step tutorial to learn how to place your golf bets online within minutes.
Step 1. Join An Online Betting Site
First you will have to open an account with an online betting site. I recommended a few sites above based on your location. I will be using BetOnline.ag, our top rated betting site that accepts players worldwide (including the USA), for the remainder of this guide.
Click here to visit BetOnline.ag. Click ‘Join Now’ on the home page and complete the registration form to open your account.
Step 2. Deposit
After logging into your new account click on the green ‘Deposit’ button. Choose your preferred deposit method (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, etc) and follow the instructions to fund your account.
Step 3. Place Your Golf Bets
You’re ready to place your bets.
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top menu bar and open the ‘Golf’ drop down menu in the left sidebar.
- Select the category of golf bet that you want to make. For example select ‘Masters’ from the ‘Golf Futures’ drop down menu.
- Select the odds of the bet you want to make to add it to your Bet Slip.
- Enter your wager amount and click ‘Place Bet’ to lock in the bet.
Ready to bet? Click here to visit BetOnline.ag.