Ohio has a population of almost 12 million, with three major cities that are home to multiple major sports teams. Sports is a huge part of living in Ohio, so it should come as no surprise that sports betting is very popular among Ohio residents.
Ohio legalized sports betting in December of 2021 and the regulated sports betting market launched in the state in January 2023. There are now several retail sportsbooks in most major Ohio cities, and 25 licenses for online sportsbook operators in the state.
Ohio residents also have the option to use offshore betting sites that are licensed and regulated outside of the United States.
On this page I will touch on the legality of sports betting in Ohio, recommend two popular betting sites that accept American players, and look at the betting options in some of the bigger cities in Ohio.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Ohio?
Yes, sports betting is legal in Ohio. The Ohio sports betting law, HB 29, was signed into law in December of 2021. The regulated sports betting market then launched just over a year later in January of 2023.
There are 25 licenses available for online sportsbook operators in the state, and there have already been close to that amount of online sportsbooks launched or conditionally approved to launch in the state. Retail sportsbooks have also opened at many casinos, sports stadiums, and sports bars throughout the state.
**Ohio residents also still have the option to place bets through offshore betting sites that are licensed and regulated outside of the USA. We recommend two sportsbooks that fit this criteria below.
Best Betting Sites for Ohio Residents
These are our two recommended online sportsbooks for Ohio residents:
|100% up to $250||Review||Visit|
|50% up to $1000||Review||Visit|
Offline Sports Betting in Ohio
Regulated sports betting launched in Ohio in January of 2023. There are now sportsbooks opening at sports stadiums, sports bars, casinos, and other properties throughout the state.
For example, in the major cities sportsbooks can be found at Jack Cleveland Casino, Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, Hard Rock Casino Cincinnati, the Great American Ball Park, Hollywood Casino Columbus, and more.
Major Sports Teams in Ohio
Ohio is fortunate to be home to a good variety of professional sports teams from each of the major sports leagues in the United States. Below I’ve included a list of all of the top pro teams located in Ohio, and which city they play out of. Click on the city name for more specific information regarding sports betting in that location.
- Cleveland Browns (NFL – Football)
- Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA – Basketball)
- Cleveland Indians (MLB – Baseball)
- Cincinnati Bengals (NFL – Football)
- Cincinnati Reds (MLB – Baseball)
- FC Cincinnati (MLS – Soccer)
- Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL – Hockey)
- Columbus Crew (MLS – Soccer)
Horse Racing in Ohio
It is legal to bet on horse races at the track in Ohio. Below I’ve listed 6 horse racing tracks located in Ohio that offer live racing and simulcast betting on races from across the country, year round.
You can also place bets on the live races at any of the tracks listed below at Bovada.lv.
- Belterra Park in Cincinnati
- JACK Thistledown in Cleveland
- Mahoning Valley Race Course in Youngstown
- Miami Valley Gaming & Racing in Lebanon
- Northfield Park in Northfield
- Scioto Downs in Columbus
- Ohio Derby at Thistledown. The race is a Grade 3 race for 3-year-olds that takes place in mid-to-late June. The race currently has a purse of $500,000.
- Steel Valley Sprint at Mahoning Valley Race Course. A race for 3-year-olds that takes place in November. The race currently has a purse of $250,000.